Friday, December 02, 2005

Advent Myth and Real Life



Lately I've despaired that I seem to have nothing to add to my blog while others are merrily posting lots of good stuff on theirs. I feel sucked dry by my job right now and don't even seem to have much energy or joy to share with my kids as they eagerly begin to anticipate Christmas.

But at the same time I know deep down that this too shall pass, that my energy and inspiration will eventually return. I just have to have patience and wait it out.

In that regard, serendipitously, I've just picked up the UU Commission on Appraisal's report, Engaging Our Theological Diversity, and am finding there many ideas worth thinking about and perhaps worth exploring in future blog posts.

What can we UUs learn from the Christian season of Advent, if we don't accept as literally true the historical events upon which its religious meaning is built? Perhaps it is that underneath the questionable historicity of the Advent mythology nevertheless stands a solid truth: that when your cup seems emptiest is right before it's about to be filled.

2 Comments:

At December 3, 2005 at 7:08:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your cup will be filled again soon, fausto! :-)

May the Lord grant you your heart's desire and fulfill all your plans.

 
At December 3, 2005 at 8:47:00 AM EST, Blogger PeaceBang said...

Oh dear, you must need a good cup of coffee.
;-)
Take a lesson from the rest of us and post even really stupid, meaningless detritus! On second thought, maybe not!

I hope you'll post on the Commission report. Can't wait to see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home